Uncontested RI Divorce

What is an uncontested divorce in Rhode Island? That can be a difficult question for a divorce lawyer to answer, especially over the phone. When a potential client contacts our divorce and family law attorney, and want to know how much an “uncontested divorce” will cost, often the issue is whether the potential client’s case is really uncontested at all.

If you and your spouse have gone over all the issues in a case and have come to an agreement, then the case is, in a sense, uncontested. Often, however, there are many other things an attorney must deal with beyond the agreement and getting the agreement through the Rhode Island Family Court system. Below is a list of “budget busters” that can cause a simple, uncontested RI divorce to take a bit more time and money than planned:

Real Estate
Do you need deeds for house transfers?
Is there a foreclosure, refinance or sale of the real estate?

Will there be a division of a retirement account or pension?
Is the pension military, state, or local in nature?

Marital Settlement Agreements
Often, a MSA is needed if there are complex financial arrangements.

Everything Else
Often, when parties have “an agreement,” the agreement may not have touched on all the actual details that the court, and your lawyers need to consider. Until these details have been covered and agreed to, divorce lawyers will still not consider the case to be an uncontested RI divorce.

So, if you are looking to make your divorce simple, ensure you and your spouse has considered the above issues and that you have had an opportunity to sit down with a divorce attorney, who is an expert in Rhode Island divorce law, to go over all the potential issues. Then, and only then, and assuming neither you nor your spouse change your minds, you may have an “uncontested RI divorce.”

RI Military Divorce Issues

These days so many Rhode Islander’s or their significant others are either on active duty with the military or in the Guard or Reserves. As a result, the impact of military service is something every divorce lawyer in Rhode Island needs to understand in order to best represent a client in court and settlement negotiations. Below, I will touch on the various topics you must be aware of in dealing with a RI military divorce when one party is in military. Your divorce lawyer needs to truly understand these issues, not just have heard of them.

If a party files a divorce or child custody, possession, or support case in a RI family court, the other party must be served with proper notice of such proceedings before the court can take long term action. “Getting served” can be much more complex when the party being served is in the military and out of Rhode Island.

Soldiers and Sailors Act
If a service member is on active duty, even with proper service, the divorce or custody action may not be able to go forward. The “Soldiers and Sailors Act”, so called, is designed to prevent an undue disadvantage being imposed on a military member when they are unable to actively participate in litigation due to military obligations.

Did you know that each branch of the military – Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, have their own methods of determining how much of a service member’s pay must be turned over to a spouse or child, in the event there is no state order to the contrary? You need a law firm that understands these issues.

Pension division issues are complex enough, but when a spouse in military, the task of dividing pensions get significantly more complex. Read the details of things to consider when dividing a military pension/benefits in RI divorces.

Health Insurance
The provisions law Rhode Island that deal with a spouse or child’s continued health and/or dental insurance can often be at odds with how the military will dictate those issues be handled. Factors such as length of marriage may allow a spouse to remain covered even after a divorce.

Overall, military issues can have a significant impact on your case. Ensure your divorce or custody lawyer has the knowledge and experience to confidently handle your Rhode Island divorce. Call Attorney Don Moyer now to set up your consultation. We’ve got the knowledge and experience you’re looking for. (401) 461-7800.

Call Now 401-461-7800

Dividing Military Pensions in RI

Military Pensions are a world into themselves when it comes to divorce. Knowing how to tackle them is key to ensuring a fair and appropriate division of assets in a Rhode Island divorce. Below is a primer on the various issues.

The 10-10 Rule

The first thing to realize is that while the pension, or a portion of the pension, may be marital, and while the Rhode Island courts may order that a spouse has an entitlement to a share of it, the military may not distribute it. There is a rule we call the 10-10 rule: If there is a ten year overlap of military service and marriage, then the Federal Government will accept an order to divide the pension.

Example: Wife and Husband married for 9 years and Husband in military for 24 years. Pension is assignable, but the military will not divide. Husband will have to pay directly to Wife upon receiving pension.

Calculating Benefits

Here’s the short version of how our divorce lawyer calculates a spouses military benefits.

Spouse Benefits = Total Benefits x Marital Share x %Split

Total Benefits = (Base Pay Rate x Years of Service x 0.025)

Marital Share = (Years Marriage & Military Overlap / Total Military Years)

%Split = Whatever the court awards. For further examples we will assume 0.5, i.e. a 50/50 split.

If service member A is receiving a pay of $3,000 per month, has been in the military for 17 years, and marries for 11 of those years, and there is a 50/50 split, the calculation would look like this:

Spouse Benefits = ($3,000/mo x 17 x 0.025) x (11 / 17) x (0.5) = $412.50/month.

So, spouse would be entitled to a share of $412.50 per month by way of a direct pay from the military. Subject to the following, more complex, issues:

Cost of Living Adjustment

The end result of the calculation above is in present day percentages. The future payout would be adjusted for future cost of living adjustments, or COLA.

Define “Base Pay Rate”

Base Pay Rate is what it says, which mean that when you look at a service members LES, look for “Base Pay Rate” and exclude all the other items like BAH and the like. Now, if the service member stays in the military, as time and promotions come and go, his or her base pay rate will increase, which would, according to the calculation above, alter the calculation above.  So, what do you do? Ensure you define the rate as being the present rate.  But there is a catch.  This can be done for guard personnel, but not reserve or, believe it or not, active duty personnel, so, we need to get creative to make the implementing order fair. Here at Moyer Law Office, Attorney Moyer knows how to structure this. visit here to check out the pay charts.

Disability Pensions

Did you know that if there is an order dividing the military pension, and the service member begins collecting VA disability, that the ex-spouse may lose out on her court ordered military retirement share? It’s true. But we can help try to mitigate or avoid this consequence of Federal law.


Well, we hope this primer on military pension division was helpful. If you are involved in a divorce with military aspects, our lawyer can help you through this and other unusual complexities that arise out of military service. Call us today at (401) 461-7800 to schedule you consultation now.

RI Divorce Basic Issues Overview

Divorce Big Picture

In Rhode Island, there are four general categories of issues that your lawyer will deal with in your divorce, namely: Children, Division of Marital Estate, Alimony, and Temporary Issues. Understanding these categories will help break down the process, and help you understand where things you think are important fit in.

Children: There are several sub-parts to the children category and they are: Custody, placement, visitation, support, and medical coverage. A primer on what the court considers in solving child issues may be found in the FAQS section.

Division of Marital Estate: The first step is to identify the marital assets and/or debt. Issues such as inheritance, pre-marital assets, are relevant here. In the next step, the assets and/or debt must be valued. Bank statements, appraisals, credit card statements, and the like help here. Finally, after determining what is divided, and its value (positive or negative), the assets must be divided. The rule of thumb is to assume a 50/50 division and vary off of that based on certain factors that may apply, such as fault (i.e. affairs, abuse, etc.) The statutory factors used in determining division of assets may be found in the FAQS section.

Alimony: Factors such as length of marriage, ability of each party to pay support, and the needs of each party are relevant here, amongst other factors. The court makes a decision regarding alimony only after making its decision regarding the division of the marital estate first. In RI, alimony is considered “rehabilitative,” and thus, it is not awarded simply due to unequal incomes. Any lawyer seeking alimony must have a plan for their client to use the funds to “rehabilitate” themselves. As an example: completing an education, or time in employment to get a promotion.

Temporary issues: Often, issues such as placement of children, support, restraining orders, and use of assets (who lives in the home) need to be handled prior to the final hearing on divorce. These are considered “temporary” issues.

What’s the Difference in RI Between Legal Separation and Divorce?

In a divorce there are generally four major categories of things to deal with, namely (1) child issues, (2) equitable distribution issues (assigning assets and debt), (3) spousal support (alimony) issues, and (4) “temporary” issues while the divorce is pending, such as who can live where, who can use the car, who pays the bills.

In a divorce from bed and board, aka legal separation, the RI courts can only deal with three of these issues, namely (1) child issues, such as custody, possession, child support, etc., (2) alimony, and (3) “temporary issues.”

So the first major difference is that the courts will not assign assets and debt between the parties. If one party wins the lottery, its still a marital asset. If a party racks up debt, its still marital debt.

The next major difference, which is obvious, is that with a legal separation, you are still married. The theory is that parties may need room to breath and figure out if there can be any solutions to the problems in the marriage. For this reason, the courts will not penalize a party who is legally separated for things that usually get punished if such behavior occurs after the separation. This would include issues surrounding abandonment, affairs, or the like. This limbo last until the parties either reconcile and dismiss the separation case or decide to move on with a full divorce.

The process for a legal separation is essentially the same as a divorce, with the same timetable as a divorce, however, in the end, you merely receive an order granting the divorce from bed and board, as opposed to a final decree of divorce.

Don P. Moyer, 401 461-7800, Moyer Law

How Do I Fill Out the Required RI Court DR-6 Financial Form?

The DR-6 (a-b) “Statement of Assets Liabilities Income Expenses” is a form that all family court parties are required to fill out and file when filing complaints for divorce. separation, miscellaneous complaints, or when an answer or modification request is filed. After reviewing the DR-6, it can be seen that page one deals with income and assets, and page two deals with liabilities and debt. Most attorneys will provide an additional page (Exhibit A) for extra expenses to be listed. An example of a completed DR-6 can be found here.

The first grouping, gross income and income deductions, is essentially a persons pay stub if they are typical wage earners. Section 1-10 is for a listing of incoming money sources, as in gross income (before taxes), social security income, etc. Section 6 and 9 are somewhat complex to describe, so consult with an attorney if you think they apply. Do not list child support PAID, or your rent EXPENSE here. THey are outflows and go on the next page.

The income deductions section is a listing of things coming out of your check before you get it, or, if self-employed, it is a place to list the money set aside or sent in for anticipated taxes, self employment taxes, etc. Section 23 is your “take home” income.

Section 24 related to your tax status and is self explanatory. Section 25 deals with insurances of a variety of type. Ensure you are familiar with the difference between whole and term life insurance for this section.

Section 26 is a listing of cash and intangible bank accounts.

Sections 27 (A) itemizes things such as 401(k)s, IRAs, brokerage accounts, etc. Section (B) lists significant tangible assets, such as vehicles, collections, things that people might argue over. Section (C) lists real estate. For each part of Section 27, only list values that you have evidence for. Don’t guess.

Page two is for expenses. Put each of your expenses in the appropriate column depending on the frequency with which you expend the money. Food (#30) is typically weekly, while rent, mortgage, utilities, etc. are typically monthly. Work your way down the list and use the blank spaces for unlisted expenses and for debt repayment, such as credit cards, etc. DO NOT list expenses that have already come out of your paycheck, as often may be the case with thinks such as Dental, Union Dues, or Blue Cross (meaning health insurance – you have to wonder who prepares these forms.) Please note that you need not break down your grocery expense from your dairy product expense as requested in Sections 29 and 30. Just group them together.

Ensure that you fill out the additional “Exhibit A” form, or the like, if you are provided with one. Ensure that the totals from that Exhibit are carried over to page two of the DR-6 (Section 55 for Moyer Law Office’s form) so the totals are accurate.

Now, some big picture answers. The form is officially designed to reflect the current reality of a person’s financial position. If you are working, but expect to be laid off in three weeks, put your present income on the form. If you will be moving out of the house after filing for divorce, put your current expense liability on the form, not whet you expect to pay in three weeks. You are always encouraged (and required) to update the form as the changes occur.

Don P. Moyer, 401 461-7800, Moyer Divorce Law

How Do RI Courts Handle Significant Others and Visitation During Divorce?

Here is the situation: You have been separated from your spouse for two years, and have just filed for divorce and your first hearing for child support is a week away. You are living with the love of your life (not your spouse). Your children live with you and are happy. All seems fine. What could go wrong?

Everything. Maybe.

In Rhode Island, most judges, if asked to make a ruling on the issue, will not allow a significant other to be in the presence of minor children during the divorce, never mind overnight, and forget about living together.

The key is: “if asked.” Most judges will only rule on a particular issue if a party asks them to. Some judges, though, will issue an order dealing with this issue on their own, or “sua-sponte,” if they find out that there is a significant other around the children.

So, for most circumstances, if the judge finds out, and if a party asks the judge to rule on the issue, you will generally get hit with the following order: “Each party is restrained and enjoined from allowing the minor children to be in the presence of their significant other [or any unrelated members of the opposite sex] at any time.” If you violate the order, there could be significant penalties, such as payment of attorney’s fees to the other side, loss of your children, or jail time.

If you are in the circumstance described at the beginning of this article, your life could be turned upside down.

There are a lot of ifs here. Some judges are more lenient, and some are incredibly strict. I have heard the following: “Your boyfriend must move out, and there cannot be so much as a shoe of his in the apartment, or you will be having visitation supervised at the Family Court building.”

After the divorce, the courts tend not to have a problem with significant others being around children, but many will still prevent overnights around them. In a sense, people who have at one time been married have a greater level of restriction on them regarding this issue, as parties who were never married often do not have the same restrictions placed on them.

So, what should you get out of this? Know what you are in for before you go in front of a judge, regardless of which side of the issue you are on. If you are the non-possessory parent, you may have a tremendous amount of leverage to be used (or abused) as needed (think of blackmail.) On the other hand, you could be exposes to a tremendous amount of risk if you are the possessory parent.

Ensure when choosing an RI divorce lawyer for your divorce that he or she knows the tendencies of each judge in the county that your case is to be heard. Does the lawyer knows which judge will hear the case? Find out what to expect on this issue. In essence, make sure you and your attorney are not blindsided.

Don P. Moyer, 401 461-7800, Moyer Divorce Law

How Long Does a Simple Divorce Take?

Rhode Island has a “track” system for divorces, meaning that a divorce is either on the “Nominal Track” or the “Contested Track.” The party filing the divorce first may choose either track from the beginning. If they choose the nominal track, they will be given an initial (and hopefully last) hearing date that will be approximately 11 week from the date of filing.

If they choose contested, they will get a case status hearing date that will typically be 13 to 16 weeks from the date of filing. If the case is on the nominal track, and the Defendant is not actively disputing and issues, the case may go forward as a “Nominal Hearing” on the 11 week date. If so, you will be finished with court, unless something else comes up before the Final Decree is entered. If there is a dispute at the 11 week date, the case becomes “Contested” automatically, and you will be given a case status hearing date several weeks out.

Assuming a nominal hearing, then the parties must then wait 90 days for the Final Decree to enter, assuming the case was filed under “irreconcilable differences.” The other common grounds for divorce is “living separate and apart for the space of at least 3 years.” If you file under this statute, you will need to wait only 20 days from the nominal hearing date to enter the final decree.

Don P. Moyer, 401 461-7800, Moyer Divorce Law