We live in a mobile society. Moyer Law, PC and Attorney Don Moyer represent clients who currently live in other parts of the country who need local Rhode Island representation in matters of divorce, child custody, visitation, child support, or enforcement of existing orders. Our lawyers have experience representing clients who live in a variety of different states.

Interstate Custody Disputes.

In Rhode Island, interstate custody disputes are governed by RI’s version of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). The UCCJEA contains procedures for courts and lawyers to determine whether a custody case should be decided in Rhode Island or another state where the children currently reside. One of the most important factors for a Court to consider in determining whether to exercise jurisdiction in a custody dispute is which state is the “home state” of the minor children. As a general rule, if the children have resided in a certain state recently for more than six months, that state will be considered the “home state” of the children. However, there are also certain other factors which must be taken into consideration such as whether the children or one of the parents has a significant connection with Rhode Island and whether substantial evidence is available in this state concerning the child’s care, protection, training, and personal relationships.

The UCCJEA also contains mechanisms for the enforcement of a custody or visitation order which has been issued by another state.

Interstate Child Support Issues.

If you live in a state other than Rhode Island, you may have been served with a Complaint or Motion for payment of child support. However, if you have never lived in RI, RI may not have jurisdiction (“personal jurisdiction”) to order you to pay child support or to modify a child support order which was issued by another state. As a general rule, in child support matters any complaint or motion for child support should be filed in the state where the non-custodial parent resides. If you live in another state and you have been served with a complaint or motion which has been filed in Rhode island, you should immediately contact our experienced Rhode Island interstate custody & support attorney to determine your legal rights.

At Moyer Law, PC, our attorneys represent parents and spouses who live in other states and need local representation in matters of interstate custody and visitation disputes and interstate child support issues.

For aggressive, effective, legal representation in complex interstate divorce, child custody, or child support cases, contact us by email or at (401) 461-7800.