Interstate Child Support and Custody Issues

When divorced co-parents who live in different states have a dispute regarding child custody, support or visitation, which state’s courts will have jurisdiction over the matter will be determined first. This also applies to enforcement of current agreements as well as to requested modification to them.

Generally, one needs to file legal documents related to child support in the state where the non-custodial parent lives. However, sometimes parents who no longer live in Rhode Island receive motions or complaints filed here. For example, if you’ve never lived in Rhode Island, but your ex filed the papers here, RI state may not have any jurisdiction over the matter. At Moyer Law, PC, we can provide legal guidance to those parents. And regardless of which state they currently live in, if they need a Rhode Island attorney, we can help.

UCCJEA Is Controlling Law

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act determines the location for the resolution of interstate custody disputes. Generally, the state where the children are living handles interstate custody disputes. Especially if they’ve been there for over six months. However, even if they don’t live in Rhode Island, if they still have significant connections to the state, Rhode Island courts may still decide the resolution of the dispute.

Get the Help You Need

Child support, custody and visitation issues can often be stressful and complex. And when you and your ex live in different states, they can be even more so. We are experienced in dealing with interstate family law cases. To find out more about our services, contact our interstate child support and custody lawyer at (401) 305-2934.

Related Posts
  • Can I Move Out of State with My Child? Read More
  • Should I Stop Paying Child Support If I Can’t See My Kids? Read More
  • Seven Guidelines for Parents Who Are Sharing Custody of Their Children During the Covid-19 Pandemic Read More