Can I Modify or Cancel a Prenuptial Agreement?

prenuptial agreement

A prenuptial agreement is an excellent document for a married couple to have, but circumstances often change and the terms you agreed to while creating your agreement might not always be right for either of you. If you and your spouse agree to make changes to your prenuptial agreement or do away with it altogether, you can move forward with this step. However, if either of you is not on board with this idea, it will have to remain as it is.

Amending or Releasing Your Prenuptial Agreement

If you and your spouse agree to change your prenuptial agreement, you can make an amendment to it. Any revisions you make will be written on additional pages, which will be attached to your agreement. You should have an attorney assist you in writing these amendments and, additionally, you will need the entire amended agreement signed and notarized to ensure the changes you made are valid.

If you and your spouse decide that you no longer want your prenuptial agreement, you can cancel it by using a Release of Marital Agreement. You and your spouse must both sign the document and it must be notarized by a public notary for the cancellation to be valid.

There are many reasons why spouses may have a change of heart when it comes to their prenuptial agreement. You may have obtained more assets and property, had children, wanted to reassess property division, or simply no longer believe you need a prenuptial agreement. Whatever your reasons may be for changing or canceling your prenuptial agreement, you should not hesitate to contact an attorney to discuss it.

Reach Out to Our Family Law Firm to Speak to an Experienced Attorney Today!

If you and your spouse wish to modify or cancel your prenuptial agreement, it is important to consult with an experienced attorney. At Moyer Law, PC, our family law team has handled thousands of family law cases with successful results. With more than two decades of experience on our side, you can rely on us to provide the guidance you need to make the changes you need to your prenuptial agreement.

Call our law office today at (401) 305-2934 to set up an initial case review with our knowledgeable family law attorney to find out more about what it takes to cancel or modify a prenuptial agreement.

Related Posts
  • How to Explain Divorce to a Child Read More
  • Can I Move Out of State with My Child? Read More
  • How to Know When It's Time to Get a Divorce Read More