Filling RI Court DR-6 Financial Form

money flying out of wallet

The DR-6 (a-b) “Statement of Assets Liabilities Income Expenses” is a form that all family court parties are required to fill out and file when filing complaints about divorce. separation, miscellaneous complaints, or when an answer or modification request is filed. After reviewing the DR-6, it can be seen that page one deals with income and assets, and page two deals with liabilities and debt. Most attorneys will provide an additional page (Exhibit A) for extra expenses to be listed.

Section of the Form

The first grouping: gross income and income deductions are essentially a person's pay stub if they are typical wage earners. Section 1-10 is for a listing of incoming money sources, as in gross income (before taxes), social security income, etc. Section 6 and 9 are somewhat complex to describe, so consult with an attorney if you think they apply. Do not list child support PAID, or your rent EXPENSE here. They are outflows and go on the next page.

The income deductions section is a listing of things coming out of your check before you get it, or, if self-employed, it is a place to list the money set aside or sent in for anticipated taxes, self-employment taxes, etc. Section 23 is your “take home” income.

Section 24 related to your tax status and is self-explanatory. Section 25 deals with insurances of a variety of type. Ensure you are familiar with the difference between whole and term life insurance for this section.

Section 26 is a listing of cash and intangible bank accounts.

Sections 27 (A) itemizes things such as 401(k)s, IRAs, brokerage accounts, etc. Section (B) lists significant tangible assets, such as vehicles, collections, things that people might argue over. Section (C) lists real estate. For each part of Section 27, only list values that you have evidence for. Don’t guess.

Expenses Not Relevant for Child Support

Page two is for expenses. Put each of your expenses in the appropriate column depending on the frequency with which you expend the money. Food (#30) is typically weekly, while rent, mortgage, utilities, etc. are typically monthly. Work your way down the list and use the blank spaces for unlisted expenses and for debt repayment, such as credit cards, etc. DO NOT list expenses that have already come out of your paycheck, as often may be the case with things such as Dental, Union Dues, or Blue Cross (meaning health insurance – you have to wonder who prepares these forms.) Please note that you don't need to break down your grocery expense from your dairy product expense as requested in Sections 29 and 30. Just group them together.

Ensure that you fill out the additional “Exhibit A” form, or the like if you are provided with one. Ensure that the totals from that Exhibit are carried over to page two of the DR-6 (Section 55 for Moyer Law, PC’s form) so the totals are accurate.

What Is the DR-6 For?

Now, some big-picture answers. The form is officially designed to reflect the current reality of a person’s financial position. If you are working, but expect to be laid off in three weeks, put your present income on the form. If you will be moving out of the house after filing for divorce, put your current expense liability on the form, not what you expect to pay in three weeks. You are always encouraged (and required) to update the form as the changes occur.

Related Posts
  • Tax Implications of Divorce in Rhode Island Read More
  • Types of Alimony: Which One is Right for Your Situation? Read More
  • How to Explain Divorce to a Child Read More